The YMCA believes that every person should have an opportunity to participate in the Y and pursue their own personal goals regardless of skill or financial level. Because of our service and dedication to our community, we offer membership and program funding. Please feel free to review the department information and the links to the programs where scholarships are available.
Financial Assistance approval is based on a sliding fee scale designed to fit individual financial situations. Available funding is based on personal need, enrollment, and our financial resources.
MEMBERSHIP: The Open Arms financial assistance program offers scholarships towards membership and classes specifically.
Scholarships are awarded on the 1st and the 15th of each month. If you submit your application between the 1st and the 14th of the month, your membership will be approved for the 1st of the following month. If you submit your application between the 15th and 31st, your membership will be approved for the 15th of the following month.
All applications require written proof of income to determine the appropriate scholarship award every 6 months.
The application may be found here
CLASS SCHOLARSHIP: Class Scholarship are CLOSED for SPRING I. Spring II requests will begin Friday, April 10th.
Class scholarship requests are taken between the Friday-Sunday before online registration begins. You may submit your request by completing a online form.
Session Request Deadline: Friday 4/10/2015 - Sunday 4/12/2015
Award Notification Date By: Tuesday 4/14/2015
Member online registration begins: Wednesday 4/15/2015
Community online registration begins: Wednesday 4/22/2015
Class Session Dates: 4/26-6/14
Class Scholarship 2015 Request Dates
Spring 1 - 2/13/2015-2/15/2015
Spring 2 - 4/10/2015-4/12/2015
Summer - 6/5/2015-6/7/2015
Fall 1 - 8/21/2015-8/23/2015
Fall 2 - 10/16/2015-10/18/2015
Class scholarship request form: http://www.annarborymca.org/open-arms-financial-assistance.php
*This form is used for YMCA classes ONLY. It does not cover YMCA memberships, child care or camps.
CAMP AGQ: Camp Al-Gon-Quian is the Ann Arbor YMCA’s residential summer camp located on Burt Lake in Northern Michigan.
Description of the program: http://www.annarborymca.org/programs/camp-al-gon-quian/registration.php
We are excited to offer financial assistance so all campers have the chance to participate in residential camp! There are three important steps in this process.
- Reserve a spot. Registration for returning campers and Ann Arbor YMCA members typically begins on December 1. Participants eligible for early registration should call the camp office at (734) 661-8051 on December 1 or after to reserve a spot in the session of their choice. There is no deposit required if you are applying for financial assistance. Open registration begins on January 15 for new campers who are not Ann Arbor YMCA members. New campers should call the camp office on January 15 or after to reserve a spot. We highly recommend that you call and reserve a spot as soon as possible, as AGQ fills up very quickly!
- Fill out the camp financial assistance packet. This can be found online : http://www.annarborymca.org/sites/default/files/pdf/AGQFinAid.pdf or it can be picked up at the front desk of the YMCA. You can also request that one is mailed to you by calling the camp office at (734) 661-8051. This is due back by March 15 at the latest in order to be eligible for financial aid.
- Wait to hear. The camp office will contact you in early April with your scholarship amount. Your final payment (the difference) will be due by June 1
YMCA summer day camps are all about discovery. Kids have the opportunity to explore nature, find new talents, try new activities and make lasting friendships and memories.
Thank you for your interest in Ann Arbor YMCA Day Camps. We do our very best to ensure every child has an opportunity to attend camp and we look forward to receiving your application for financial assistance. We evaluate scholarship applications and distribute funds based on family income, number of household members and cover letters. Please provide us with as much information as possible so we can make the best decision possible. Due to the large demand for Day Camp scholarships, you may request a maximum of 5 full-day camps, or 10 half-day camps.
If you have any questions regarding the Financial Assistance program, please contact the Open Arms Coordinator, at (734) 661-8007, or the Camp Office Registrar at (734) 661-8039. For full instructions, as well as acceptable forms of documentation, please click here.
Here are the steps to apply for a Day Camp scholarship:
- Call the camp office to reserve a spot in the camp program(s) of your choice. There is no deposit required if you register over the phone or in person. Tell the registrar you are applying for financial aid. For Day Camps, call (734) 661-8039 starting on Wednesday, February 11.
- Fill out the online Day Camp Financial Assistance Application by Sunday, March 15.
- All applicants need to fill out this application, even if you have received a YMCA scholarship in the past for camps or other departments.
- Ann Arbor YMCA staff will review the applications the week of March 16th
- You will be contacted via phone the week of April 13th in reference to the scholarship amount and the number of sessions received.
- The balance due for the parent contribution is due 3 weeks prior to the start of camp. Please refer to the day camps brochure for due dates for various day camps.
Youth Sports Leagues: Applications for financial assistance for youth sports leagues are due by the Friday of Early Bird Registration, which is typically one (1) week before the league begins.
Description of the program: http://www.annarborymca.org/youth-sports-programs.php
Scholarship application: http://www.annarborymca.org/open-arms-financial-assistance.php
Ypsilanti afterschool sports programs:
Information on financial assistance for Ypsilanti afterschool programs can be found in the registration flyer available at your child’s school office.
YOUTH IN GOVERNMENT: Scholarships available on an individual basis; please follow link below for additional information.Description of the program: http://www.annarborymca.org/youth-civic-engagement.php
TEEN AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM: Limited scholarships are available beginning in September. Scholarships are distributed during the school year as available. Description of the program: http://www.annarborymca.org/academic-enrichment.php
CHILDCARE: Families are encouraged to apply for financial assistance http://www.annarborymca.org/sites/default/files/pdf/openarms.pdf
once their child has been guaranteed a space in the program. For more information regarding the waiting list and program details please follow the link below. Description of the program: http://www.annarborymca.org/child-care.php-1