Preschool Swim Lessons
Preschool (Ages 3-5)
Children progress at their own speed and it is common for a swimmer to remain at the same level for a complete year of classes, even with perfect attendance. We stress each child’s self esteem and confidence, improving skills, technique, and gaining strength. Each week we will incorporate character values such as caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
Pike: While adjusting to water, children learn safe pool behavior and develop independence. New swimmers learn basic paddle strokes, kicking skills, and putting their faces in the water while blowing bubbles.
Eels: For children who have mastered Pike skills. Students are taught flutter kick, dive, float, and the progressive paddle stroke. Children can swim the length of the small pool paddling on their stomachs and back without assistance by the end of this level.
Rays: For children who have mastered Eels skills. Skills taught include rotary breathing, front crawl, dives and back crawl.
Starfish: For children who have mastered Rays skills. This class focuses on fine tuning of the front crawl with rhythmic breathing.
- Free placement swim tests are given Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. No appointment needed- just find a Deck Manager.
- The Aquatics Department reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment.
- Parents must escort their child to and from classes. You may sit on the deck for the first class, but for following classes please wait for your child in the viewing areas in the lobby or fitness floor. No parents should be on the swim deck so that your child can fully bond with his/her instructor.
- Goggles! When it comes to eye wear in classes we recommend that your child be comfortable with the goggles he/she has. During the class if your child is spending a lot of time fixing and adjusting the goggles you should wait to use them in the next class. The best way to make sure the goggles fit well is to use them at an open swim, in the shower, or in a bath and make adjustments as you see fit. The time in the classes is valuable and we would like to make sure we can give all the time we can to your child.
- The week before registration your child will receive a registration reminder. It will have your child’s name, instructor’s name, and what class you should be signing up for next session.
- The last week of lessons instructors will give your children a progress report. It will give you, in detail, information on what your child has accomplished in their session.