For the past three months the Ann Arbor YMCA has participated in the United States Department of Agriculture’s Farmers to Families Food Box program. As part of the CARES act, the USDA’s Farmers to Families program pays farmers for their produce instead of it being destroyed. Partnerships between nonprofit organizations and distributors ensure the fresh produce reaches communities who most often lack access to healthy, non-processed foods. The 25 lb boxes of produce contain fruits and vegetables, many locally produced. Distribution this week will occur on Thursday, Sept. 17 and Friday, Sept. 18. Those wishing to have up-to-date information regarding distribution times can check the Ann Arbor YMCA’s Facebook page (@AnnArborY). Unless otherwise marked as “closed” the locations are open to all.
Thursday, Sept. 17
- Sycamore Meadows 1273 Stamford Court, Ypsilanti 48198: 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (closed community site)
- Forrest Knoll 693 Arbor Drive, Ypsilanti 48197: 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Evergreen Apartments 3089 Woodland Hills Drive, Ann Arbor 48108: 1:30-2:15 p.m.
- Future YMCA branch site 1500 South Huron Road, Ypsilanti 48197 (located across from the Washtenaw County Sheriff Department Office in Ypsilanti Township): 2:30-6 p.m., or until supplies last
- Fresh Start Church 623 Oak Street, Ypsilanti 48198: 4 p.m. until supplies last
Friday, Sept. 18
- Sky Mobile Detailing 409 Emerick Street, Ypsilanti 48198: 10:30-11:45 a.m.
- Parkridge Community Center 591 Armstrong Drive, Ypsilanti 48197: 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- The Villas Apartments 2911 Bynan Drive, Ypsilanti 48197: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
If your Washtenaw or Southern Livingston County nonprofit organization is interested in collaborating with the Y to receive free produce boxes for your neighborhood or community, please contact Abbey Davis at email@example.com.