Upcoming Meetings & Classes:
Tuesday, 11:00am beginning February 27
Wednesday 7:00pm beginning March 7
Tuesday, 5:30 beginning March 13 – Meetings are held at the Ross School of Business
Monday, 6:00 beginning April 16
If you are interested in enrolling, please fill out this form Diabetes Prevention Intake Form, and contact Suzanne Kessler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.661.8036. Please also contact her if you have additional questions about the program.
Watch a discussion of the Y’s Diabetes Prevention Program during a televised interview on Ann Arbor Inclusive here.
Watch a video about DPP impact here.
There are a few ways to pay for enrollment in this program:
- It is FREE to members of the Ann Arbor Y
- It is covered for those that qualify and are insured by Blue Care Network’s UM Premier Care Plan
- It is $429.00 for non-members. This fee includes the cost of the program AND a year-long family membership to the Y.
- Payment plans and scholarships available, the scholarship application link is here
MEASURABLE PROGRESS, UNLIMITED SUPPORT
If you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, you can make small, measurable changes that can reduce your risk and help you live a happier, healthier life. To participate in the program, you must be:
- 18 years or older
- Overweight (BMI of 25 or higher, 22 or higher for Asians)
- Diagnosed with prediabetes via one of three blood tests or a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes. If you do not have a blood test results, you must have a qualifying risk score. Use this widget to find out your score: PREDIABETES SCREENING WIDGET
To help reduce your risk for diabetes, your goal in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is to reduce your body weight by 7% and increase your physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week within the first half of the program. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds your goal for the first half of the program would be to lose 14 pounds and increase your physical activity to what could be a brisk 30-minute walk five days per week.
CHANGE IS TOUGH, WE CAN HELP!
Let’s face it, if change were easy, we’d all do it. You’ve spent years developing habits that you can’t expect to change overnight. It’s tough. We can help. The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program gives you the skill you need and the support you deserve to make lasting healthy lifestyle changes.
This program asks you to:
- Attend 25 meetings over the course of the year.
- Track your food intake, with a specific focus on grams of fat in your diet.
- Track your physical activity minutes, and slowly work up to the program goal of 150 minutes per week.
- Weigh in at the beginning of each meeting, and participate in group discussion.
- Make simple switches and lifestyle changes that can lead to a healthier you!
National Institutes of Health research has shown that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program reduces the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in people over 60.