Safety Around Water (SAW) in a Box! A water safety resource and activity guide provided to families for free.
This year, the Y has re-imagined the SAW program so that families can learn together in the safety of their own home. The self-paced curriculum, provided for free and appropriate for children ages 5-12, will be available for pick-up in designated locations throughout Washtenaw County July 13-17. Each box contains materials for six different themed lessons including:
• Protect the Skin You’re In (sun protection)
• Suit up for Safety (life jacket)
• Reach or Throw, Don’t Go (how to help someone struggling in the water)
• Know the Rules When You Play in the Pool
• Stay Alert, Don’t Get Hurt (proper supervision and what to do if you find yourself in trouble
in the water)
• Before You Leap: Find Out if it’s Shallow or Deep
None of the activities require pool or water access, but include coloring activities, a discussion guide for parents/guardians to use with the children and a key guide with information relevant to the covered topics.
To register for SAW in A Box, click on the red register button and use the keyword: SAW before July 10. Families need only to register once even if there are multiple children who will be participating; once registered there is an opportunity to request materials for the correct number of children and provide contact information where you would like to receive the survey. This survey is REQUIRED as it will allow you to designate the pick-up location that is most convenient. Registration is open now; boxes will be available July 13-17. For more information about this program, please contact the Y at SAW@annarborymca.org.