At the Y, swimming is a life skill. Our swim lessons prepare kids of all ages to stay safe and have fun in the water, building strong swimmers and confident kids. The benefits of participating in our swim lessons program are far greater than just physical health. At our Y, the focus is on building the whole child, from the inside out, so kids will learn about the rewards of persistence and courage, as well as mastering their swimming strokes. We provide instruction for infants to adults so that everyone can learn this essential life-saving skill. With two indoor pools, private, semi-private and group lessons as well as a competitive team, we have a place for everyone in the pool. We offer lessons for infants as young as 6 months to adults of any age, as well as Lifeguard/CPR/First Aid training for ages 16 and up. For questions regarding any Y swim program, please contact Kimberley Baetz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.661.8020. For questions regarding swim team, please contact Michaella Williamson at email@example.com
Information about FREE Safety Around Water classes at 400 West Washington Street (June 18-22) may be found here. Information about FREE Safety Around Water classes in the community may be found here.
We reserve the right to cancel classes when inclement weather jeopardizes the safety of our members and staff. There are no credits or refunds for cancelled classes due to inclement weather.
- The Aquatics Department reserves the right to cancel or combine classes due to low enrollment.
- Parents must escort their child to and from classes.
- You may sit on the deck for the first and last class, but for classes in between please wait for your child in the viewing areas in the lobby or fitness floor. No parents should be on the swim deck so that your child can fully bond with his/her instructor.
- We have Head Lifeguards and management staff available at all times to assist your child with restroom trips.
- The week before registration your child will receive a registration reminder/ Mid-session report. It will have your child’s name, instructor’s name, and what class you should be signing up for next session.
- The last week of lessons instructors will give your children a certificate of achievement. It will give you, in detail, information on what your child has accomplished in their session.
- Please take a soap shower before entering the pool area- this helps us keep it clean for all swimmers.
OPEN SWIM POLICY:
At the Ann Arbor YMCA we care about the safety of our young members and guests. We have swim test procedures in place to help keep children safe in the water.
Swim Test Elements:
- Swim 50 yards– competitive stroke must be in good form. “Doggie Paddling” does not count
- Jump into the deep end
- Tread water for 30 seconds
Red Wrist Bands and Children 6 and Under: All children 7-14 years of age who have declined to take the swim test or who have not passed must remain in the family pool at all times. Lifejackets are available– just ask a lifeguard. Children 6 and under must be within arm’s reach of a parent at all times.
Green Wrist Bands: Children ages 7-14 who have passed the swim test may swim in both lap and family pools (appropriate use of lap pool is a must). Stop by the lifeguard office to receive your band after successfully completing the test.