Volunteerism is central to the founding and legacy of the Y. At the Ann Arbor Y, we know that lasting personal and social change comes about when we all work together. That’s why at the Ann Arbor Y, strengthening community is our cause. We are committed to strengthening our community through Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. We cannot accomplish this without volunteers. Thank you for working alongside us to strengthen our community together.
Types of volunteers:
- Program volunteers – people who directly help the YMCA carry out its programming: coaches, workshop leaders, mentors, event hosts and staff, referees and other game officials. There are many other program-specific positions.
- Support volunteers – behind-the-scenes administrative help for our professional staff!
- Fundraising volunteers – As a nonprofit, the YMCA relies on donations, so it needs plenty of campaigners for our Annual Campaign and more. Development volunteers may be enlisted for staffing phone banks or stuffing envelopes. They may help coordinate fundraising events.
- Policy volunteers – This group includes board members and committee members (all must enter a longer-term relationship with the organization governed by its bylaws). A policy volunteer not only gives time and effort to the organization but also helps guide its direction and determine its programming and priorities.
- Managerial volunteers – This group applies to trained professionals — including accountants, lawyers, executives, designers and IT workers — who donate their services pro bono.
Please scroll down to learn about specific opportunities!