If you have a skill, or just some time on your hands, the Y can probably help you use it for good! To volunteer at the YMCA, you don’t have to be young, and you don’t have to be a man. You just have to be interested in the mission of the organization: “to put our core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility into practice in ways that help build healthy spirit, body, and mind for all”. The Y works with five broad classes of volunteers:
- Program volunteers – people who directly help the YMCA carry out its programming: coaches, workshop leaders, mentors, event hosts and staff, referees and other game officials. There are many other program-specific positions.
- Support volunteers – behind-the-scenes administrative help for our professional staff!
- Fundraising volunteers – As a nonprofit, the YMCA relies on donations, so it needs plenty of campaigners for our Annual Campaign and more. Development volunteers may be enlisted for staffing phone banks or stuffing envelopes. They may help coordinate fundraising events.
- Policy volunteers – This group includes board members and committee members (all must enter a longer-term relationship with the organization governed by its bylaws). A policy volunteer not only gives time and effort to the organization but also helps guide its direction and determine its programming and priorities.
- Managerial volunteers – This group applies to trained professionals — including accountants, lawyers, executives, designers and IT workers — who donate their services pro bono
Please scroll down to learn about specific opportunities!
Current Volunteering Opportunities
Team Leader of Youth Volunteer Corps Service Projects The Youth Volunteer Corps of the Ann Arbor Y is seeking adult team leaders to help provide opportunities for teens, ages 11 – 17, to further engagement in community through service-learning.
Volunteer Driver for Community Seniors On Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays use the Y van to drive to nearby residences to bring participants to the Y for their classes, then take them home afterwards.
Youth in Government Program Volunteer Work with the middle and high school Youth in Government programs as an adult advisor, guest speaker or workshop facilitator
Pedaling for Parkinson’s Volunteer Assist participants and instructors in the Y’s evidence-based studio cycling program for Parkinson’s patients. Class meets Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:30-2:30. One volunteer per class is needed from 1:15-2:45 each class day. Can work 90 minutes or 3 hours or 4.5 hours per week
Youth Sports Basketball Coach
Y youth sports teams are coached by one or two trained YMCA volunteer coaches, many of whom are parents or community members. If you like to work with children and enjoy helping them learn and succeed, we need you! If you are interested in coaching, you need to be at least 14 years of age and to attend a Y coach’s workshop prior to the start of the season. Our workshops introduce volunteers to the YMCA’s character values and youth development philosophy as well as give you the practical skills necessary to teach and lead youth sports teams. No formal coaching experience is necessary; all we ask is that you are committed to helping young people build positive self-images and develop a passion for an active lifestyle. For more information, contact Chris Deary at 734.661.8016 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Child Care Activity Coordinator Help create and lead activities with children from kindergarten through fourth grade. Activities may include craft projects, healthy snack preparation, assist with homework, physical activity exercises and more.
Child Care Story Teller Pick a story and read it to children in our preschool or school-aged care programs. You could even dress up to match the story or help plan a craft or snack that works with your theme.
Child Watch Program Assistant The YMCA is looking for fun, dedicated individuals who enjoy working with children and wants to make a difference in their community. By volunteering in Child Watch, you have the opportunity to meet new people and share your skills with children of all ages.